![]() |
| Derek Muller is the creator of Veritasium. |
Here are three videos you should watch actively, and pick one other of your choice from his channel for a total of four videos total. That will give you a good feel for the channel, content, and style.
Have fun!
Mike
Why Anecdotes Trump Data
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7MTM4BKZ_E
Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvk2PQNcg8w&t=255s
13 Misconceptions About Global Warming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWXoRSIxyIU

1. Why Anecdotes Trump Data
ReplyDeleteThe reason I rank this video first is because the production quality of the video beats the other two. The evidence given for his argument for anecdotes being more efficient is more believable and interesting than his other videos’ evidence.
2. Why Facts Don’t Matter Anymore
This video ranks second mainly because of its information given. While most of the evidence was rookie friendly, others, such as the algorithms and systems mentioned, flew over my head and left me clueless as to what I just watched.
3. 13 Misconceptions of Global Warming
This video was my least favorite. It was less informative and more argumentative. The evidence given disproved the misconceptions, but not entirely. The production quality of this video lacked, given that he was arguing with himself about global warming. Overall, this video was spotty and somewhat confusing.
1. 13 Misconceptions of Global Warming
ReplyDeleteI rate this one first because he gives us a perspective of the thoughts a regular civilian would have on global warming or climate change then he explains why that thought may have flaws and why it is a popular false belief while explaining the effects that climate change can have on the earth.
2. Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore
The reason I rate this video second is he gives a very good explanation of how fake news has been spreading rapidly and the effect the internet has been having on people and what it causes. I also liked how there was a short Q & A at the end where the people in the lecture got to ask questions about his lecture which helped gain a better understanding of the video.
3. Why Anecdotes Trump Data
I rated this one third because I didn't gain much from this video besides of the facts that he stated. Although he made very good points in this video and for the viewer to gain a better understanding I feel he could've went about making this video a little better.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete1. Why Anecdotes Trump Data
ReplyDeleteI rated this one first because it definitely had the most watchability for me. It definitely was able to keep my attention the whole time and I could easily understand the ideas and content that he was presenting. It opened up my mind to things I have never really thought about before, such as that our brains actually do understand stories more than data.
2. Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore
I rated this second because I really liked the ideas and content that he presented. I thought that this was a really good explanation of how the internet can divide us instead of bring us together, and a really interesting call for action. A downfall of this video, though, is that I felt it had low watchability. It almost seemed to drag on at some points and it was hard for me to stay focused.
3. 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming
I rated this one third because I felt that it had low watchability and the ideas didn't seem clearly presented to me and were hard for me to follow. I felt that the video went to fast to the point where I couldn't really grasp the content that they were showing and understand what was going on. It was a ton of back and forth and I felt that they didn't show how other perspectives could be right, too.
1.) Why Anecdotes Trump Data
ReplyDeleteI ranked this video first because of the quality of the video and the information present in the video. Not only is the video more focused on him and there are little to no distractions but he uses his examples in a way that helps to further his point.
2.) Post-Truth: Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore
I ranked this one second due to the fact that he walked around to much and the camera bounced around. Also, not only did he have the camera on himself but he would randomly point the camera on the class even though he was still talking. In addition, the video quality of this video was poor but the content was well received.
3.) 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming
I ranked this video last due to the unprofessionalism I thought it had between the two characters and their constant bickering of who was right. Also, I felt that people were talking to fast for the audience to be able to receive the information and digest it before they moved on.
1. 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming. I liked that this video was formatted in a very different way, which was that there were two different characters, one portraying the misconceptions and the other would correct him with the facts. I think that this format was a good way of keeping the audience interested.
ReplyDelete2. Why Anecdotes Trump Data. I like this one the second most because I thought that it was very straight forward and easy for the viewer to understand. I also liked how it was very simplistic in the way that he was just outside with the camera.
3. Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore. This video was my least favorite because although it had some good content, it was difficult to hear the student's questions because they were so far away from the camera. Another issue that I had with this video is that it was much longer in comparison to the other videos, and it was more difficult to pay attention throughout the entire thing.
1. 13 Misconceptions about Global Warming: I thought this video was the most interesting out of the three because I learned more about climate change and what the world is perceiving wrong. Even some of the misconceptions that the sun glassed man was stating, I thought the same thing too, and I am glad that he debunked it for us. Although he stated some great facts, I would have liked to know more how we can help to prevent climate change from getting worse.
ReplyDelete2. Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore: I thought this was interesting to hear more information about this topic because I truly believe in that social media algorithms needs to be changed and updated. The one thing that I took out of this video was that the more "fake news" that we retweet and share on our profiles, the more it is going to spread because of the various algorithms. If we stop and make sure our source is reliable and educational before we hit that button. I thought this video was great, but I would have liked to hear more information from him, rather than the students having a discussion at the end of the video. It was very easy to become distracted from him walking around in the lecture hall.
3. Why Anecdotes Trump Data: I did not really like this video because I feel like I wasn't engaged in this video unlike the other two. I wasn't interested in the information he was providing, even though some of it was interesting. I felt distracted by him walking around outside, and I couldn't focus on what he was saying. I feel like I did not gain anything from this video.
1. Why facts don’t matter anymore: I really liked this video because I felt liked I related to this video the most. The biggest point that it made was how people will look at the opposing sides argument and take it and tweak it until it becomes the worst version of itself and then the other side shows that off so that people think they are horrible people. People don’t even look at the facts, they just look at what triggers them.
ReplyDelete2. 13 misconceptions of global warming: I really liked how the information was presented. They basically had the same guy argue the two sides but the misconception side was presented as YouTube comments and I always like watching YouTube comments being debunked. My favorite piece of information from this video was that scientists in the 50’s actually thought that the earth was getting colder and that the sun was getting brighter up till the 30’s. I also liked how they said that there isn’t global warming but there’s actually climate change. Cold winter will still be cold.
3. Why anecdotes trump data: this was my least favorite because it talked about somethin* that I wasn’t interested in. They talked about how on science shows they only show the experiment once but people think that they don’t follow the scientific process. The things is, only the nit pickers or the people who hate the shows for no reason would notice. The end lesson was that people can visualize a story instead of statistics.
ReplyDeleteI will order these videos on entertainment, informative-ness, and overall professional feel (which adds to the author’s credibility as a source).
My favorite video was “Why Anecdotes Trump Data”. In this he discusses why an impactful first impression of information, whether it is true or not, causes more people to have it stick in their minds. However, this leads to rumors being easily spread if they are ‘believable’ and those with important information, but with no way to show it the world, being ignored. I really enjoyed the relaxed walk he took is audience on as he discussed this topic and again I found the topic itself pretty interesting. The way he spoke and how he looked also made him look professional and made him seem at least what he knew what he was talking about.
The video I would rank as second is “Why Facts Don’t Matter Anymore”. In this video he records a lecture he has with people around the globe, where talks about how people have such strong confirmation bias that they ignore or alter facts that disagree with their beliefs or views. While I found this video informative and entertaining at first, it went a bit long for my taste and the way he held a camera or similar as he talked to a group felt a little strange and detaching as an internet viewer.
The video I thought was the worst was 13 misconceptions about global warming. In this video Veritasium poses as the ‘internet’ saying things that they believe are truthful about global warming and then he rebuttals and explains why it is not true. While this was informative in learning about the proof behind how global warming works and came to be, the way he acted as the ‘internet’ was rather unprofessional and goofy. It detracted from the experience and made it less entertaining for me at least.
Ahh sorry my indents weren’t inserted correctly.
Delete1) Why Anecdotes Trump Data
ReplyDeleteI chose this first for a few reasons. The information in this one was interesting to me. It was easy for me as the viewer to understand and this video focused mainly on him. This one really opened my eyes to something I never put much thought into and the evidence he used was strong.
2) Why Facts Don't Matter
I chose this second because I also thought this information was interesting. He was very good at explaining this one and I liked the short Q and A he did with the people in the lecture. The thing that bothered me though was the way that he filmed it and how the camera would bounce around a lot. Hard to focus on what he was saying the whole time.
3) 13 Misconceptions about Global Warming
I chose this last because it was simply unprofessional. The production quality lacked and it gave me the least information. This video was confusing to me. It was hard for the information to receive the information in my mind.
1) Why Anecdotes Trump Data was my favorite video. I enjoyed the setting and production style of the video. I also liked the ideas presented; they were interesting and easy to undertand. The topics were also relatable because most people have probably seen Myth Busters, and remember an anecdote from it.
ReplyDelete2) Why Facts Don’t Matter Anymore was my second favorite. Although I didn’t really like the lecture setting and production style, I really enjoyed the topics and conversations. The discussion of the pros and cons of the internet was very relatable and relevant, as everyone uses the internet and has similar experiences. I also agreed with his point that it’s hard for people to change out their opinions/ideas with someone else’s.
3) 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming was my least favorite. I see what he was trying to do with how he argued with a different version of himself, but I didn’t enjoy it. I also felt as if the video was just a bombardment of facts in support of one side of the global warming argument. Although he had good evidence, facts, and points, I don’t think I will remember it. Like he explains in Why Anicdotes Trump Data, a bunch of facts without a good story don’t stick in peoples minds.
1. Why Anecdotes Trump Data.
ReplyDeleteThis was my favorite video because it was very informative and easy to remember. The whole point of the video was to explain how stories are easier to remember than data are and it is true because I hardly remember the video about global warming.
2. 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming
I ranked this video second because it was sort of funny. I liked the words on the screen it made the video easier to follow
3. Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore
This video was my least favorite because in my opinion it was very hard to understand and hard to follow. I don't like how you couldn't hear some of the students questions or answers. He used a lot of words that I didn't understand and his thoughts were a little all over the place.
1. Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore:
ReplyDeleteThis was my number one video. I actually really enjoyed the informal format of the production because it made feel as though I was in the discussion among him and the students. I especially loved his point about how the debates don't actually argue each-other but rather how each "camp" creates what they think the other-side is arguing. This is a ever-increasing issue in society today. Rather than hearing the facts they pick a camp. While I do believe the algorithms need to change, to have some sort of truth-signal, I would argue it's far more important that people get in the habit of digging for the truth themselves. You just never know anymore unless you go verify.
2. Why Anecdotes trump Data:
This video was number two for me because of the way he filmed it while walking down the hill. Felt all over the place. Also, I felt like his subject was hard to follow because he spent so much time explaining reasons before he actually arrived at the point. He had some good reasons but It would have made more sense to me if he started off with "story-truth" vs. "data-truth."
3. 13 Misconceptions about Global Warming -
This video was my least favorite even though it had the best production value. It was well shot but difficult to follow and very fast-paced. If it hadn't been for the Title I'm not sure I would have picked up all the different points of the video. When talking about Science to the lay-person its best to minimize the amount of information and take it slow.
1. Why Anecdotes Trump Data
ReplyDeleteI picked this video to be first because it successfully fulfills all my criteria which include set up, evidence, and how it was recorded. This video was set up well and was not distracting, he was just hiking and holding a camera, it wasn't blurry and it was easy to hear. He also uses evidence to back up his claim which is important to me.
2. 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming
I chose this video to be second because it successfully fulfills some but not all of my criteria. I did not like the set up of this video, specifically I didn't like how he kept going back and forth like he was having a conversation with himself. I would rather it just be him talking in front of the screen. I was glad that the picture was very clear and it was easy to hear. He also uses evidence in this video and takes it a step further by not only explaining the evidence but showing graphics too.
3. Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore
I chose this video to be third because it doesn't successfully fulfill any of my criteria. I did not like the set up of this video at all. I felt like he kept rambling on and repeating himself. I also disliked the way he kept moving the camera between him and the students it made the picture blurry. He also doesn't show or talk about any evidence.
1. 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming
ReplyDeleteThis video was my first choice because of the way it was formatted. It was easy to watch and didn't bore me. He used a lot of images and added some humor in which kept my attention. I think him going back and fourth with himself to debunk common misconceptions was a clever thing to do because in my opinion, it makes the video less confusing.
2. Why Anecdotes Trump Data
I liked this one because I learned a lot from it. He explains every thought he has in great detail which makes what he says more believable. Although his claims are good and make a lot of sense, the video was boring. All it included was him hiking and I found it hard to stay focused on the video because it was just all him talking in front of the camera and nothing else.
3. Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore
I liked this video the least because I don't think his points were convincing enough and the quality was bad. The camera moves a lot, making it blurry and hard to watch. The sound wasn't very great either and I felt that the video kept going on and on about the same ideas. I think that he needed to put more effort into recording to make the video better.
1) Why Facts Don't Matter Anymore
ReplyDeleteThis was my favorite video (even though it was very long), I liked the message the most out of all three videos. It really made me think of what's true vs. what's fake. Most people think everything they hear on the news is true; they think, "they wouldn't broadcast it if it was fake". It's not that it's 100% fake, it's just the media can twist stories into something that isn't 100% true. Most people don't even form they're own opinions- they just agree with what they hear on the news or see on social media. This video pointed out how much television media and social media causes polarization within our society. People are not accepting of other peoples opinions. What stuck out to me the most was actually what someone from the audience said during the Q& A, he stated, "...think of your opinions like papers in a box, if you find another opinion that is better than in the box, switch it out... it can easily be changed". It is important to have an open mind, and to be more accepting of others' opinions.
2) Why Anecdotes Trump Data
This is my second favorite video because I was kind of confused in the beginning as to what this video was about, but after watching the whole thing, I did like the message. I liked how it pointed out that our minds work better with stories rather than statistics. I agree because I can connect with something better when I can actually picture it in my mind. With statistics, it is difficult for me to put an image to that. I liked how he actually experimented with this theory. People were shown a video of a man having seizures in the middle of a restaurant (I think) and those people had to guess how many people helped him. Most people guessed correctly without the results rather than the results being given up front, which I thought was interesting.
3) 13 Misconceptions About Global Warming
This was honestly my least favorite, even though I am interested in Earth Sciences, I thought it was too much information thrown into such little time. I quickly lost interest because it was too just too much. I did like the graphs that provided evidence that global warming is a real issue.
ReplyDelete1) Why Anecdotes Trump Data
I chose this because I liked the video. The information was interesting and I never heard of this stuff before. It was nice how the video focused mainly on him. This video really interested me because of its unique style of telling us the facts.
2) Why Facts Don't Matter
I put this 2nd because I thought it was interesting. He was very good at explaining his points. I especially liked the short Q and A he did with the people in the lecture. The camera was very shaky and that bothered me a lot. It was hard to focus a lot of the time.
3) 13 Misconceptions about Global Warming
I chose this last because it had very low watchability. The production quality lacked. This video didnt teach me anything new. This video was confusing to understand at times. It was also a lot of information to get all at once.
1) 13 misconceptions about global warming
ReplyDeleteThis video interested me the most because it gave two different perspectives on the subject even though we knew it was the same person. Him in the sunglasses was supposed to be like a normal person who wasn't really educated about the topic and then him as himself gave the real facts and data about what was going on with global warming. I think his persuasive techniques in this video were good, I was engaged the whole time. When he talked about how sea levels have been rising three millimeters a year every year which means the ocean is expanding was interesting to me and I didn't know that. Also when he talked about how CO2 levels rise first and then that's when temperatures rise, that was something new too. Overall this was my favorite video.
2) Why facts don't matter anymore
I found this video the second most interesting because of how he set up the content. He gave a lecture and then asked questions. I believe someone wouldn't enjoy this video because of it's length and staying engaged. I found parts that were informative, but I also found myself engaged at some points. I completely agree with what he was talking about though. Most people think that everything that see is true and that what society has come to. I really enjoyed the part when the boy asked the question and said something about paper and keeping an open mind on seeking new opinions when you find one that is better than what you have. He talked about emissions in his car and didn't believe what the man was telling him. He went home and looked it up and found that what the guy was saying was true. So he then had a new outlook on emissions in cars, although it was hard for him to give up what he previously thought about the subject.
3) Why anecdotes trump data
I didn't find any interest in this video at all. He is trying to get us to believe that anecdotes trump data and I feel as if this is just contradicting itself. An anecdote is not necessarily true or reliable because its based on personal opinions rather than data and research. I understand what he was trying to put out to his audience, but from my standpoint, I'm always going to take data and research, which is proven, over a good scientist stating his own opinion. To sum it up, I didn't really learn much because I've looked into experiments and research found on different things, and this just isn't something I agree with.
1.) The best video in my opinion was The Misconceptions of Global Warming. I liked this video the best mainly because I am very interested in the topic of climate change and global warming. I like that he used argument in this video and he proposed the misconceptions and then the facts that prove that their wrong. I also think the time length of this video was spot on it wasn't too long and it wasn't too short. I was a great amount of information because I feel like I could retain it all.
ReplyDelete2.) The second best video was why facts don't matter anymore. I think this topic is very interesting and relevant to today. I question if something is actually true everytime I read something especially when it is about celebrities because of gossip. As well as his point of politicians, i think its hard to pick a good candidate because we don't know whats actually real and whats fake. The only downfall with this video was the length it was a little too long to stay engaged the entire time.
3.) The last video, why anecdotes trump data was my least favorite. I personally didn't like the style of the video i wasn't a fan of the walking and talking. I got distracted by the background and his arm moving. I found it hard to understand the information in this video. For example In the other videos I can write about them with ease because i feel i really absorbed the information where as this video i find myself looking back through my notes to get a better grasp of the subject. I do think his topic has relevance just that it should have been executed in another way
1. My favorite of the videos was the misconceptions of global warming. I think the video style was more exciting to watch, and the graphs and pictures he included made it more visually appealing, so I didn't get bored. I like how he took a topic that lots of people who love to argue think they know all about, and really broke it down scientifically for us to see what it's actually all about.
ReplyDelete2. My second ranked video was why facts don't matter. I enjoyed this video because he spoke about the internet, which is something people my age can relate to, and he said about how a lot of arguments are created over virtually nothing, and we tend to only believe what we want to believe. I also like how there was the questions, so it wasn't just him talking the whole time.
3. My last of the three was why anecdotes trump data. I chose this video as my last just because it seemed least exciting, he was just walking and talking the whole time and there was never any pictures or graphics to look at to keep interested. I do agree with the topic though, that people don't really care about the actual scientific part of science, they just like the story that goes with it. They only seem to care about the exciting part of science that is seem from the surface.