Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Exploration Five: Hannah Belden

In my active reading of chapter five, I really liked reading the different reviews of things.  I didn't actually realize that they were an "academic form" (page 58).  I think this is something that struck out to me because the review of a video game is just as valid as a book review or an art review.  For example, looking at the review of GTA, the video game, I was surprised that something classified as entertaining could be written from an academic perspective. One question I did have about this review was the question of ethics.  In the description, it said that the author of this review "side stepped the ethics" of a game like this (page 169).  So this leads me to the question, should you put ethics into a review, or focus solely on the thing at hand and not one's morality?  Again, I thought this was a very interesting chapter because reviews are something that we actually come across in our everyday lives.
A screenshot of a niche review, where different scores are given in
different areas, along with reasons why 
 I use reviews everyday in my own life, for everything whether it be food, makeup, etc.  I think one of the biggest ways I used reviews was when looking for colleges to attend.  There are websites like "niche" that give different schools different ratings on different aspects, and why.  Of course, I didn't decide on a school solely based on a review but it did help me decide on which schools I wanted to go visit, and add to the list of potential candidates.  If I found a school with no positive reviews, I pretty much would dismiss it as something that I shouldn't put my time and energy into exploring further.  When looking into Ohio State, though, I found an abundance of positive reviews and I knew that this was definitely a school I would want to invest my time in going to visit and applying to.  OSU wasn't the only school I did this with, but I did cut out some other schools based on very, very bad reviews and the values that these schools had that I did not.

                                   

2 comments:

  1. I was also surprised that a review of GTA could be written in an academic perspective. I think you could put ethics in a review if you really wanted to as long as you don't make it offensive to any reader, which would be very difficult so I probably wouldn't recommend it. I used reviews to help pick out what college I wanted to attend as well. I think it's cool how reading reviews led us both to OSU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cheyenne, You certainly could speak of ethics over the game, but not without going against or for a specific view point, so its a touchy subject to cover. While you should not listen to and decide to do something solely based on reviews, I think that it gives a certain impression for the product or service and kind of acts like advice from someone with experience.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.