An artist that has had an influence on my life is Tyler Joseph, the singer and songwriter in the two person band, Twenty One Pilots. This band is originally from Columbus, Ohio, so it is very close to home. Over the past two years, a few of their songs have become very popular and even made it on the radio. Some of their most popular songs include "Ride", "Stressed Out", "Heathens", and "Jumpsuit", which have all made it to the radio and top charts. Although many people may just like the band's songs for their catchy sound, there is a much deeper meaning to them than what some people realize.
Growing up, Tyler struggled with issues including anxiety and seasonal depression. The songs he writes are used as a way to express these feelings and to cope with them. Something that sets Twenty One Pilots apart from other bands is the connection that they have with their fans. At every show, they end with the same closing line "We are Twenty One Pilots, and so are you". This unique unity between the artist and listeners allows for the audience to feel like they are truly a part of something bigger than themselves. This band is nearly impossible to compare to any others that I know of because they have such a unique sound and message that is unlike other bands. Their unique style puts them into the genre of alternative, which is more open-ended.
 |
| Cover for the album "Regional at Best" |
This band, in my opinion, has the potential to make a huge impact on a lot of people who deal with the same issues as Tyler, by letting them know that they are not alone. Almost every single song is focused on anxiety and depression, except a few which are love songs for his wife, Jenna. The album "Vessel" was released in 2013 and features the song "Truce". This song has a very sad sound, but offers a sense of hope to the audience, with lyrics such as "the sun will rise and we will try again" and "stay alive for me". These lyrics are an encouragement to the audience to keep going because there is always tomorrow and things can always get better. Another song that had an important impact on listeners is called "Lovely" and is from "Regional at Best", one of the band's oldest albums. This song is also very inspiring, with lyrics including "Won't you stay alive? I'll take you on a ride, I will make you believe you are lovely". This song is trying to get the message across that you are lovely and deserve to feel good about yourself despite feelings of worthlessness. Overall, I would recommend this band because it has helped me through some very difficult points in my life and I believe they have the potential to help other people who have struggled with depression and anxiety.
Link to Lovely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-2xCuJZYQ
Word Count: 473
Carlyn, I grew up listening to 21 pilots with my sister. I have seen them in concert a few times. A small band coming from around us is very inspiring to many young kids. I love what they do for the community even after they blew up and how different their music is from everyone else in todays society.
ReplyDeleteCarlyn, I think that Twenty One Pilots relationship to there fans is awesome. The fact that the band is from Columbus, Ohio is inspiring as well. Also, the fact that the music is motivational to people struggling with depression is great.
ReplyDeleteI love Twenty One Pilots! Tyler writes and sings his songs with some much passion and emotion. I went to their last concert in Columbus at Express Live. My best friend and I waited outside the venue for hours but it was worth it because we got inside the pit! It was one of the best concerts Id ever been to.
ReplyDeleteI love how Twenty One Pilots write their songs in such a way that yo can interpret them as you will, so each person can feel connected to the band in their own way. It's also so interesting to me how they make music in so many different genres all at the same time it seems like.
ReplyDeleteI love Twenty One Pilots and their music! It is definitely a different sound than what is being played on the radio today, and I love how their lyrics go deeper than what is being heard. Josh Dun is a big inspiration to me as a drummer!
ReplyDelete