Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Exploration 6-Evan Burkart


An artist that has had an impact on me would be XXXTENTACION or Jahseh Onfroy. While he was alive he made many different songs, some more upbeat and others slower. He blew up off of a song called “Look At Me” this song gave him some recognition from society and it was only up from there. Many of his songs and albums won awards and went platinum. Before his death he struggled with mental illness and was trying to better himself. Although he had a rough past he was trying to better himself as a person. Reaching out to kids struggling with mental illnesses and visiting local schools to see the kids. In one of his most recent music videos he displays himself fighting his past self throughout the music video which represents how he was struggling to better himself but he was trying to change his life around. He was killed earlier this year by a drive by shooting sending him to the hospital but later passed away.
At first his music was almost like a punk rap but later changed it to more of a R&B/Rap. He made many songs all with a different type of vibe. So it is hard to explain a certain type of music that he made. Attracting almost anyone who liked this type of music. He had many fans because of the fact of his music being so unique and diverse.
I cannot think of many comparisons because of how different XXXTENTACION was from every other rapper. He is somewhat similar to a rapper named Trippie Redd. However many rappers are all interested in money or fame but he did not really care about those things. X did his own thing most of the time without a care in the world. He just did what he loved which was making music.
A good example portraying his impact is the music video I talked about in my first paragraph. The song is called “SAD!” and in it he shows his old self fighting with his new self which shows that he truly was trying to change his ways despite his rough past and the decisions he made. This music video was released after his death which was upsetting but was a very good representation of how he was trying to change and showing all of his fans that changing for the better isn’t impossible.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sad+xxtentacion+song+music+video


This photo shows XXXTENTACION performing at a concert.

(Word Count: 398)

4 comments:

  1. Evan, without even reading yours, I think most of us know, or have at least heard about xxxtentaction passing. Although this was very sad, I believe X left his stamp on music in general throughout his short career. He went through a lot throughout his career and made music while he had mental health issues to show what he was going through. Mental health is a great barrier to get over, and X showed that this is possible. He released numerous top hits that were very popular, his music even helped others through mental health that were struggling. I personally am thankful for X and found it extremely tragic when he was shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember hearing about his passing about a year ago, I didn’t really know him but it is sad nonetheless that he was robbed of his life. I have since listened to his music and really like the messages that he sings about and it has even changed my world view on a couple of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evan, many people were sad about the passing of X. His music blew up around the country. I like how you went into depth about mental illness that he struggled with and what he did with it. I agree, its hard to compare him to anyone else, while he changed so much from at first. His music is still an impact on the lives of people today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only listened to a few of X's songs but after his passing I started to listen to more of them, which really shows you don't appreciate what you have until it is gone. It is so sad that he passed so young I definitely think he was gonna be a huge rapper up there with the greatest. Every time I listen to rappers raping about drive bys or homicides I think they're all talk but this event made my perspective change about how real the content they're rapping about is.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.