One of my
all-time favorite music bands is by Hillsong United, a Christian Worship band
out of Sydney, Australia. One of the most unique things about this band is
there isn't one single set of members whom you will hear from or see at any
given time when they record or perform. In fact, this band has had as many as
twenty different members rotate in and out over the years with a handful of
worship leaders taking charge at various times. Established in 1998 the
band originated from the youth group of Hillsong Church. Due to the exceptional
talent of the youth in writing many original worship songs, the group leader,
Darlene Zschech, suggested the youth group record an album. Since then, the group has released eleven annual live
albums, as well as four studio albums. The band composes songs and performs in
church services as well as concerts in worldwide tours. They have
also been featured on NBCs The Today Show many times.
I have
personally seen this band perform one of their best known songs, and one of many favorites
by them, in concert called "Oceans". This
song is powerful in encouraging all people that whenever the waters rise, and
life is scary that you can trust in a savior.
You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans
deep
My faith
will stand
One of my favorite things about this band is their ability to
sound nothing like what you may think a traditional Worship band/song may sound
like. The lyrical genius of the songs and how they relate intricate scripture
into a practical struggles of life is truly a gift. In addition, the vocals of
the singers is some of the strongest I've ever heard, which is something I
always look for in a music artist. Many mainstream singers like Britney Spears
or Katy Perry can sound good with the help of producer tips and tricks
edited together, but not many can bring down the house with nothing but a
microphone and their raw voice. This band can do just that and this is a
big reason why I find them to be so influential in the world of music,
both secular and otherwise.
Of all the songs I love by Hillsong United including "So
Will I", "Touch the Sky" and "Hosanna", the
very best one yet, in my humble opinion, is called "Even when it
hurts."
Even when the fight seems lost
I'll praise you
Even when it hurts like hell
I'll praise you
Even when it makes no sense to sing
Louder then I'll sing your praise
I literally will listen to this song 2-3 times every-time I
turn to it. In the live recorded performance of this song, which is the version
I listen to, you will hear the artists passion in her voice as it rumbles and
cracks at the peak of the song. The pure emotion of her cry out in reverence of
God, even in her pain. I turn to this song over and over again because simply
put, life hurts. This song reminds me that by his strength, I can still press
on through the ache.
Please give it a listen, even if don't believe what I believe.
The musical talent there is worth it.
One of the better known lead vocalists Taya Smith-Gaukrodger
Word Count:
562
Brittny, after reviewing your review I went onto YouTube and listened to the song. You really can hear the passion in their voices and to see the crowd in the video being emotionally touched as they sing with the band his inspiring. I feel that you did a great job with the review and I personally would invite people to listen to this band now as well.
ReplyDeleteYes!!! Awesome Alex! Glad you enjoyed it!
DeleteI enjoy listening to Hillsong United! They're a great band. Another group that rotates members in and out is Planetshakers. All of their songs on iTunes are live, which is a unique idea that some artists should look into.
ReplyDeleteOooo, I didn't know that. I will have to go listen!
DeleteHi Brittny! I love Hillsong United and all of their songs. Oceans was actually the first worship song that I had learned. I think it is amazing that music can say exactly what you are thinking, and Hillsong United does this exactly. I will listen to these songs over and over, just like you do!
ReplyDeleteAwesome Eleni! I love that you hear what I hear in their songs. The lyrical talent there is just off the charts!
DeleteI had never heard of this band before reading your post, but I will definitely listen to their music some time in the future. I think it is very inspiring that they all started as just a youth group and were able to develop into something with such a big impact.
ReplyDeleteIt's an pretty cool detail about their journey to recording artists! Just goes to show that raw talent can take you far.
Delete