In review 1, “A Christmas Story” by Roger Ebert, I noticed how he would first judge the book like, “Ralphie’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. parker, … , they exclude warmth, zest and love.” Then he follows it up by providing evidence for his opinion. He writes, “Notice the scene where Mrs. Parker gets her younger son to eat his food by pretending he is ‘mommy’s little piggy’.” I believe this is a great way of staying unbiased because if you can’t provide an example, maybe it’s you’re bias then. Something else I liked in the review was how it ended in a joke. It leaves you with something to look forward to in the movie. It’s an inside joke for people who have watched the movie, so if you go back you’ll understand it, and be glad you understand it now.
I use reviews all the time in my own life. I use reviews on video games every time I want to buy one. Most recently I bought Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4. I researched and looked at all of the reviews the game had. I learned that it was a thrilling game and that he story mode is small. So, I was prepared for a small story with really good writing and very good animation. I already wanted the game, but the review by IGN really hammered home the game for me. IGN said, “Insomniac has found web-spun gold with Spider-Man's wonderful webswinging.” This one quote made me want the game even more.
I feel that some forms of media do not need reviews. For me, Spider-Man won me over before I read any reviews. I do, however, enjoy reading from the people who give it such high praise. What a game.
ReplyDelete