Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Exploration Five: Review Writing Response Emilee McCabe

     In Chapter 5, I learned that in order to write a good review, it is important to evaluate and explore the reasons why you have a certain opinion toward something. Evaluating before making reviews is important because the critic needs to understand that topic completely. On page 156 in The Curious Writer, the evaluation process is listed with the following steps: judgements, reasons, criteria, and evidence. These steps are important to give the reader solid information and evidence backing the topic.
     In The Christmas Story review by Roger Ebert, he gives the reader detailed information about the movie. There is a brief summary of the movie and its history as to why it was made and where it was filmed. In Ebert's review of The Christmas Story he explains the movie was released in 1983. It was filmed mainly in Toronto, and some parts in Downtown Cleveland, but the movie was set in Indiana. The movie is based on stories from Jean Shepherd and how he remembered a particular Christmas season in the 1940's. Giving this information along with a detailed summary of the movie and why Ebert thought it was "a world that no longer exists in America", really gives the reader a clear understanding of why his view is valid. He used all of the four steps to back up his point of view to the reader. (The Christmas Story review is found on page 162)
     I use reviews in my own life for many things. The main thing I use reviews the most is to decide if whether or not I want to buy a new product. For an example, last Christmas, I wanted to buy myself a laptop because I was unsure what type or brand to buy. I have had an iPhone since 8th grade and I really like Apple products, so I wondered if I would want a MacBook Pro. After looking at the reviews and talking to people about their experiences with certain laptops, I decided to get a MacBook Pro based on other peoples reviews about the different laptops.





This is one of the websites that I visited in looking for a laptop.

2 comments:

  1. I was also looking at whether I should get a high performance laptop or make my own PC, and after extensive reviews on both platforms in multiple areas I was able to decide on a PC! I hope you enjoy the new laptop, it does not run as well as a computer obviously but the mobility is certainly useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great that you got a mac book pro. I have one myself and they are great. I did like the fact that Roger Ebert's wrote the setting of the Christmas story. It really helps convey how the times have changed.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.