One Observation I made in chapter 5 is that one big challenge of evaluating something is keeping an open mind. This really caught my attention because you start with your emotion and judgment. Its hard to keep an open mind from this because you may feel strongly against it. This leads into my second observation which is the love or hate the reviewers have when writing. In "A Christmas Story", the writer says that its a great film by any measure. He goes into his enjoyment a lot during his review.
I use reviews to make decisions all the time. They help me really compare two or more things and make an educated decision. I mostly use reviews when I want to make a purchase. One good example of this is when I was buying my laptop for college. For a graduation present, my grandma gives all of us money for a laptop. She gives us a certain amount, and has us do our own research to find which one we want. This is a long process, cross checking what laptop is the best quality for the best price. I watched my sisters do it, and had a good idea how to do it myself when my time came around. I saw really cheap laptops which looked great at first, but after reading the reviews I learned it was bad. The reviews really helped me narrow down my options and after looking at the prices and comments, I was able to make my decision. I went with my new Lenovo Yoga, and it has been great.
| The Lenovo computer I ended up buying |
I agree with you Ben. Having an open mind about things can go a long way. Many people have one opinion on something and refuse to be told different from their opinion
ReplyDeleteI also agree with having an open mind about things when evaluating. It's really easy to have a strong feeling/ opinion about something before really getting to know the subject. After evaluating, that is the time to really decide how he/ she feels about that certain topic.
ReplyDelete