Exploration 6
The artist who has had the most impact on me over the years is Eminem. Marshall Mathers, also known as Eminem and Slim Shady, is an American rap artist. He is also a songwriter, record producer, and actor. Selling over 220 million records world wide, he is one of the best selling artist of all time. I believe that he is the best rapper/hip-hop artist of all time, and I find it unlikely that anyone will ever dethrone him from that position.
What makes Eminem so great, is his unique usage of word play, large vocabulary, and meaningful lyrics. This makes him completely different in comparison to the new rappers of today. They solely rely on beats and a catchy chorus. Eminem's goal is to inspire, motivate, and to sometimes relieve his own stress through his music. He does this by creating meaningful, relatable, and realistic songs. He often opens up in his lyrics and shares everything about his feelings and personal life. He does not care what others think about him or his songs. He says what he wants to say, whenever and however he wants to say it. For those reasons, his music has always been special to me. His stories of his rough childhood, terrible relationship with his ex wife, and lose of friends and loved ones are incredibly powerful. They make me realize that whatever I'm going through isn't so bad and could be worse. I think about other people, and what they might be going through. These types of songs keep me going, and help me stay motivated to be successful no matter what situation I am placed in.
An example of an inspiration song by Eminem, that I think most people have listened to and enjoyed, is "Lose Yourself". This song appears on the soundtrack of Eminem's Oscar Award winning movie "8 Mile", where Eminem plays a young, poor, and talented Detroit rapper. This movie is based on events from Eminem's life and is very powerful film. The song inspires the audience to chase their dreams and seize the moment. The intro to the song says, "Look, if you had one shot, one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted, in one moment. Would you capture it, or just let it slip?" My favorite lyric in this song is, "The souls escaping, through this hole that its gaping.
This world is mine for the taking. Make me king." This line just motivates me to be the best that I can be, and to achieve my goals.
Word Count: 422
https://youtu.be/fg1v0TpcZPs :Link to Lose Yourself
| Eminem on the cover of the movie "8 Mile" |
Gabe, "Lose Yourself" is such a great song and can you write about your favorite lyrics in it and provide a link to the actual song so people can hear it if they want to? Good job! Mike
ReplyDeleteGage, obviously. My bad!
ReplyDeleteGage I thought the movie really gave light to how his life was kind of like and what his music is about. He has a lot of good songs one of my favorites is shake that.
ReplyDeleteWhat did you think of his latest album, Kamikaze? I think my favorite song from his career is "Rap God"!
ReplyDeleteI did enjoy Kamikaze. I liked "The Ringer", "Greatest", and "Venom" the most.
DeleteI also wrote about Eminem in my exploration post. I agree with everything you said and I am wondering if people appreciate Eminem as much as we do. You hit the nail on the head with the description of his music and how he doesn't compare to any other rappers.
ReplyDelete