Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Exploration 6 Phillip Niewald


An artist which has a had an impact on my life is Kanye west. Kanye West is a well-known rapper and music producer who has been producing music since the early 2000’s. Kanye’s primary audience is teenagers and young adults. I personally grew up listening to Kanye, and he was my first experience with the genre of rap or hip hop. I like Kanye’s music a lot because not only are the lyrics good, but the songs are always very musically interesting and unique. The musically unique portion of his songs really set him apart from most other rappers. I think that a lot of his songs contain hidden meanings with valuable lessons attached as well as Kanye himself preaching impactful ideas which people can grow from. Recently Kanye was the center of some controversy because of his open support of the current president, Donald Trump. The controversy was spurred form the idea that Trump is a racist and that no African American, especially a popular rapper, would support him. Kanye challenged this idea and was not afraid to voice his own opinion on the matter over twitter. Without diving into the politics of this issue, I feel that what Kanye did was very brave and inspirational because it showed that people do not have to follow they social norms if they do not wish to. Kanye emphasized this point on his Twitter, tweeting, “You don't have to agree with trump but the mob can't make me not love him. We are both dragon energy. He is my brother. I love everyone. I don't agree with everything anyone does. That's what makes us individuals. And we have the right to independent thought.” While Kanye’s wording is quite unique, his underlining message of, not letting the masses control your own thoughts and opinions, is very valuable. I personally believe that in this day and age not enough people, specifically younger people, think for themselves, especially when it comes to politics. I think that if more people follow the advice of Kanye and challenge the norm and begin to think for themselves, people in general will benefit from it.  
Image result for graduation kanye
Album cover of my favorite Kanye West album, "Graduation"
A specific song from Kanye West which I find impactful is “Homecoming.” The song was released on February 18th  2008, as a single featuring Cold Play’s lead singer, Chris Martin. The song is a tribute to Kanye’s hometown of Chicago. The message which is contained in this song is to never forget where you came from. I can relate to this idea personally because my hometown and the people in it made me who I am today. The idea of remembering where you came from can help you succeed later in life without straying from your morals. It highlights the fact that your past, whether you like it or not, makes you who you are today.

Word Count: 457

link to homecoming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ488QrqGE4

4 comments:

  1. I agree that he is very brave for openly supporting Trump. We often don't get to hear about the large amount of African-American support for Trump, and Kanye challenged this and has been constantly ridiculed ever since. I agree, very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I don't agree with all of Trump's values I commend Kayne for openly supporting him as a man of color which is very looked down upon. I remember when he first mentioned his support he lost thousands of followers. How would you handle that backlash? Would you do damage control or would you sand firm on your beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Kayne as an artist and person. I think he makes a positive impact on so many lives. I think he represents so many people who are afraid to speak out in what they believe in.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.