Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Exploration Five: Eleni Smock


Exploration Five

     One observation that I made while reading chapter five was that reviews are much like an iceberg. The judgements, reasoning, and evidence of how well or bad a product can be is something that you can see from your point of view. However, the criteria, or the more in depth judgements, is hidden below the surface. One other observation that I made was that your tone needs to be strong and it needs to show your characters and your values. You also need to stray away from unfamiliar language or else your readers will not understand what you are explaining. 
     I use reviews for everything in my life! Whenever I want to buy anything online, I typically look for multiple reviews before I consider my purchase. Normally when I buy things like makeup, I turn to YouTube to get the best reviews possible. All the YouTubers that I watch give me the honest opinion of the product, and I can fully trust their judgement. One time, I really liked this eyeshadow palette that I wanted to buy. However, all of the reviews on YouTube showed that the palette was not worth the $50 I was willing to pay! I am actually very happy for reviews, because they can save you tons of money.
Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Palette

6 comments:

  1. I also watch makeup reviews on youtube to determine whether or not I want to buy a product. They definitely save me a ton of money! Usually I watch multiple reviews on one product before deciding to buy it. This way I can hear multiple thoughts and opinions rather than just one persons so it is less biased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eleni, I felt that you did a very good of explaining how we need to keep our emotions in check when writing a review. Also, my mom does the exact same thing when buying makeup for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am unfamiliar with makeup reviewers on YouTube, do they typically show the product firsthand or do they just discuss the brand of makeup?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It depends on the review, but typically they just review one product, like the eyeshadow palette I talked about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the same thing with YouTube reviews! I also watched reviews on the subculture palette and I decided not to purchase it either. Do you get worried that sometimes the reviewers are getting paid to say they like it because i know i do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love product reviews on youtube. Sometimes I just watch them for fun, other times I do use the information to make a decision especially with make up and skin care products because they can be so expensive! I really liked how you used an iceberg to explain your points.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.