Exploration Five
In the review, "Nickelback's Here and Now", I noticed that it wasn't so much of a review of the song or an album, but rather a review of Nickelback's topics in songs, style, and tone. The review points out that strippers, weed, alcohol, and women are frequent topics in their lyrics. Their music also includes a two sided perspective on women. In one song, women are seen as “cartoon playthings”(as written in the review), while another song may be a sad love song about a women.
I wonder how Nickelback actually views women. Are they seen as just objects of sex and fun, or are they respected and loved? Nickelback may just write about a sexualized view of women in order to attract attention and cause controversy. Many performers do this, as they value money more than how their true character is viewed by the public.
I have used reviews about products many times in my life. Reviews help me decide what is worth my money, time, and effort. Before I buy or rent a movie that I have never seen, I read its reviews from multiple sources. Before I spend money on a video game, I make sure that at least a couple people would recommend the game to me. Recently I had to buy basketball shoes for a church league that I would participate in. I read many reviews on which shoes were the lightest, most comfortable, and most durable. I based my decision on what shoes to buy solely on the reviews written by others online. I bought the Kyrie 4's.

I wonder how Nickelback actually views women. Are they seen as just objects of sex and fun, or are they respected and loved? Nickelback may just write about a sexualized view of women in order to attract attention and cause controversy. Many performers do this, as they value money more than how their true character is viewed by the public.
I have used reviews about products many times in my life. Reviews help me decide what is worth my money, time, and effort. Before I buy or rent a movie that I have never seen, I read its reviews from multiple sources. Before I spend money on a video game, I make sure that at least a couple people would recommend the game to me. Recently I had to buy basketball shoes for a church league that I would participate in. I read many reviews on which shoes were the lightest, most comfortable, and most durable. I based my decision on what shoes to buy solely on the reviews written by others online. I bought the Kyrie 4's.
![]() |
| Kyrie 4 Basketball Shoe |

Gage, I thought the exact same thing to myself in your second paragraph. These topics in music are very mainstream in today's society, and I always ask myself why it isn't look at as such a bad thing now, as it was then. I guess we are so used to it now. It's crazy to me how things in society shift after becoming more known and popular.
ReplyDeleteIt happens in music a lot where they talk either about how they use women or are sad because of women. People never think how they actually think about them. I’m glad that other peoples reviews can help you with your dicisions on buying shoes.
ReplyDeleteSolid question about wounding how Nickelback actually views women. I wonder if there is interviews or something with them explaining. I like those shoes a lot I have done that with a pair before as well. But mostly I just buy them because I like the way they look
ReplyDelete