Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Exploration 5 by Hunter Hires


The review that I really liked was the review done by Roger Ebert on the movie "A Christmas Story" because it was the only review that I could relate too as I don't know a whole lot about Nickleback or the GTA video game franchise. Roger Ebert really dives into this movie and talks about some themes that I didn't even consider about the movie. I knew the movie was about Christmas and family but Ebert talks about how this movie is also about childhood and how this type of childhood might never be seen again. On page 165, paragraph 12, Ebert quotes "In a poignant way "A Christmas Story" records a world that no longer quite exists in America" (Ballenger 165).  Ebert later goes onto say that a lot of things that make A Christmas Story a good movie is that even though the movie is set in the 40's, the movie reflects what modern life looks like. Ebert studies the scene where Ralphie’s mom puts soap in his mouth and then after his punishment is over, she puts the soap in her own mouth to see what it tastes like, something we ourselves might’ve done. The second thing I noticed was Ebert talks about how simple scenes of the movie went onto be classics like the scene where the dad gets a leg lamp. What I sort of wonder is if these scenes are classics because of how random they are or how relatable they are. We can all imagine a time when we have triple dog dared someone to do something and it ends up backfiring.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi rotten tomatoes score and audience score


The reviews that I use the most in my life are movie reviews. Normally I look at the reviews after a movie comes out and decide if it would be worth it to go watch the movie (as I very rarely watch movies on opening day). Back in December of last year, I was getting pumped for “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” and I just so happened to have looked at the movie review for it, because even though I had tickets for opening night the review from the world premiere was out. The review said that the movie was as good as “The Empire Strikes Back” which is known as the best of the Star Wars series, so I was pretty dang excited for this movie. I went to see it with some friends and I was just so... let down. I didn’t hate the movie when I was watching it but when the credits were rolling I just sort of felt empty. These types of reviews really change my attitude on a movie. Like, if a movie got a really bad rotten tomatoes score and I watch it, my expectations are super low and it doesn’t seem that bad. This works both ways with good movies and bad movies. From then on, I started trusting my own opinion because most of the times, critics are only looking for artistic qualities of a movie which is in contrast with the average movie goer who watches movies just for fun.

4 comments:

  1. Movie reviews are hard to trust. Varied opinions make everything tricky to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same experience with Star Wars: The Last Jedi. I was very disappointed. I hardly ever trust movie reviews anymore, and value my own opinion much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to rely on movie reviews. This is a good example of how reviews can sometimes be very unreliable as opposed to all the hype for reviews. This is where doing your homework and pulling reviews from different places in so important when it comes down to making a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I saw the same review when I was looking up this movie. I was also somewhat disappointed with "The last Jedi."

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.