Thursday, November 29, 2018

Chapter 8 Review

I thought chapter eight was super interesting and I especially liked the sketches that were in it.  Some of the things that I learned were that you actually need to have evidence to back up your points, as stated on page 326.  I also thought it was super neat that you could critically analyze different pieces by looking at them through different "lenses".  For example, you could look at a piece through a historical lens or a feminist lens and get two very different interpretations of the same piece.
My favorite piece of the chapter is definitely "Lullaby" by Leslie Marmon Silko on page 292.  You could analyze this piece a multitude of different ways, but I liked the harmony that Ayah had with nature and the land.  She made the Earth her family and even talks about that during the song she sings at the end of the passage.  I think its also interesting to look at the difference between how she copes with the loss of all her children and how her husband, Chato copes.  I think it also digs deep into Navajo tradition and culture, with the men having to show a brave front and the women standing next to them no matter what.  It was a super interesting piece and I would definitely need a little more background on Navajo traditions but I could definitely see the ora tradition that is prominent in that culture being passed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.