Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Chapter 8; Critical Essay

Before I read this chapter, I didn't quite grasp the meaning of a critical essay. In other words, I didn't understand fully on what makes a critical essay a critical essay. As the book states on page 287 "Critical essays are built around a main idea, claim, or interpretation you are making about a text." which I believe summarizes the foundation better than anything else in the chapter. I think of one the biggest things that helped me comprehend the chapter, or at least a good example, is found on page 330. I enjoy being able to visualize what the Author is trying to describe to me and it makes it very easy to understand how interpretation ties into evidence.

There were a few things I was rather confused about, such as page 288 when discussing features. I dislike the way they present the information shown. Furthermore, I believe that I personally struggle with finding good motives in essays. That's why Julie Bird's critical essay was so helpful to me. I think it broke down what things should be inputted into motives, evidence, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.