From reading Chapter 8 from The Curious Writer, I learned that critical essays are intended to dig deeper within a familiar topic. When I read, most of the time I just read because I have to. One quote that stuck out to me the most was in a caption on page 288 that states, "... you often need to look closely, and in doing so, you see beyond the obvious." This relates to the true meaning of critical essays and how to analyze them. Instead of reading just because I have to, I should instead read with the mindset of wanting to learn more about the passage or topic in order to get a complete understanding. When getting a complete understanding about what the topic is about, it is easier to gather information in preparation for writing a critical essay.
The essay that I really enjoyed reading the most was, "Lullaby" by Leslie Marmon Silko. I liked how she used figurative language throughout the whole story which gave me a clear image of what was occurring. For an example, "Snowflakes were flying inside like moths and melting into a puddle on the oiled wood floor." This is a simile comparing how fast the big snowflakes were flying to moths, giving the reader a clear image. The lullaby Ayah's grandmother and mother had sung to their children was a key point in this essay. It shows that nature gives them an escape or a calming sense from the harsh reality that they had endured.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.