I had a few research questions that I could have chosen from, but the one that really interested me was: how did the view of the Vietnam War impact the troops in Vietnam? The reason I found this question interesting was because the peer pressure of friends, family, and fellow Americans concerning the war could not have been easy to deal with. What I found was unfortunately not exactly what I was looking for, but I did find some of the ways the war changed the minds of many Americans about many things. From New York Times, A writer by the name of Karl Marlantes served as a Marine Lieutenant. Marlantes wrote about some of the positives of the war, as well as some of the negatives. One positive aspect of the war, he says, was how it pitted many racially and culturally different Americans together and taught them to trust one another. One of the negatives, Marlantes says, is it made many Americans very cynical and made them lose hope for the government. From Quora, I found a few comments that dissected the troops by the ways they entered the war. Most draftees, they said, wanted nothing to do with the war. One even said that his grandfather believed America was on the wrong side of the war. Those that enlisted were more approving of the war, but were as lost as the draftees.
![]() |
| This picture shows people refusing to be drafted into the war. |

How do you think you would have reacted if you were drafted into the Vietnam war?
ReplyDeleteIf I was drafted, I would have probably been fearful of what was going on. I wouldn’t know what to do or think.
DeleteThis is such an interesting topic and it definitely is a controversial one! Do you think that America did the right thing by drafting men into the war who didn't agree with it, or even drafting men into the war at all?
ReplyDeleteI think drafts are an okay thing, but only in desperate times. Not knowing a lot about the Vietnam situation, I can’t entirely make up my mind on that. But I would probably say it was necessary, from what I’ve seen, anyways.
DeleteI think your theme is a very important theme throughout the whole book. I think that all of them deal with guilt in their own ways all the time. They all go through the horror that war provides. Guilt is a major thing all Vets face all the time.
ReplyDeleteWhat is your opinion on those who felt it of the up most importance to flee from the draft?
ReplyDeleteI think fleeing from the draft was a very bad decision. Regardless of their view on the war, their country is asking for their help in a huge crisis. They should help.
Delete