One of the themes that I found in “The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien was one that was found in the chapter “Night Life”. I really enjoyed this chapter for the same reason that I enjoyed the chapter “On The Rainy River” which was the fact that both of these chapters have no physical warfare in them. These chapters showcase more of a psychological battle inside of Tim O’Brien and Rat Kiley respectively to there chapters. The theme that I found in “Night Life” was that silence was the real killer in war. Now, what I mean by this is that when there is no action going, you are kinda just left with all the dark thoughts and memories that you went through during the actual physical warfare. In this chapter Tim O’Brien, a foot soldier in the Vietnam War, describes how silence ultimately made Rat Kiley (A man in his division) unhinge: “He took off his boots and socks, laid out his medical kit, doped himself up, and put a round through his foot.” (O’Brien 212). This theme is also seen in the chapter “Speaking of Courage” where Norman Bowker, another man in O’Brien’s unit, was having a tough time adjusting to civilian life because he kept calling himself a coward for not saving Kiowa’s body. Both of these chapters show why silence is possibly worse than actual gunfights because it makes you think about what you went through.
![]() |
| Cases of PTSD in the last few wars |

I also enjoyed the chapters that were more about mental warfare rather than physical. I have always preferred physical action in stories, but this book really changed that. Did the story have a similar impact on you as well?
ReplyDeleteHunter I really agree with you on how it was really interesting when reading the "Night Life". It really captivated me when Norman Bowker went crazy because out of all of the soldiers in the unit he was the most hardcore one. Furthermore, it is very interesting to hear that there were more cases of PTSD in Vietnam rather than in World War II. It makes sense though because there were less rules and crueler ways to die in Vietnam.
ReplyDelete