Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Exploration 3: Jordon Frye

     My active reading is not going as well as I had hoped it would. My issue is I struggle to read and remember to write the stuff down that I'm thinking. I end up trying to force myself to find something to write down, or I have to go back through and find something that I have a question about or want to know more about. For today's reading, one thing that I noted was why did Curt Lemon lie to the dentist and tell him he had a toothache? Did he just simply want the Novocain?
     The story that has had the most meaning to me is the story of On the Rainy River. I'm sure many will choose this same story for the very same reason I did, for the part where O'Brien is on the boat, looking into the water and seeing everyone in his life. This story really impacted me mainly because of Elroy. He, without using words, told O'Brien that he needed to make this decision by himself, that he needed no help. A quote that really helps you connect to this is when he says "What would you do?" (O'Brien, 54). Those four simple words connect themselves together to ask you, the reader, a very important question. What would YOU do?
     The character that stands out to me the most so far is Martha. The reason for that is because she's a very vague character. Why is Jimmy Cross so obsessed with her? She's interesting simply because there aren't many details given about her. She is a nurse and decides to not marry. That, and the fact that she does not love Jimmy, are two very powerful traits that really impact the story. Her motives for not marrying and not loving Jimmy are never explained, and that almost bothers me. One could even go as far as to say that Martha is the cause of Lavender's death. Had she just loved Jimmy back, or had been up-front with Jimmy, Jimmy would not have been distracted and would have possibly saved Lavender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.