My name is Carlyn Bower. I’m from Marion and I go to high school at Pleasant, where I am a senior. I have been going to classes at OSUM through the College Credit Plus Program since last year. My favorite class that I have taken here so far is psychology and that’s the subject I plan to major in in the future. My current job is working at the Marion Country Club as a lifeguard. I’m involved in tennis and the swim team which take up the majority of my time, but when I’m not busy I also enjoy painting.
While reading Chapter One in The Curious Writer, something that stood out to me was when the author stated the two motives to writing. One of the motives was to share ideas or communicate. This motive was not surprising to me because it is the only motive I had ever thought there was prior to reading this chapter. I knew that this was an important motive already because most of the books that we read on a day to day basis are textbooks, which have the purpose of sharing information with the reader. The other motive was to think and discover. This motive is very interesting to me because I had never realized the other benefits that writing could have and it is the less obvious of the two. I think one of the biggest things this chapter helped me realize is that writing does allow you to discover by making you ask yourself questions and to decide your stance on issues.
Psychology was my favorite class I took in high school as well, and it is currently my major. I also really like painting, I took a painting class during almost every semester in high school, and I really like it a lot, I don't paint too much in my free time anymore, but I really want to get more into it again.
ReplyDeleteI think it is really cool that you are taking CCP courses here at the Marion campus. I wish you good luck with your final year of high school, and to enjoy it while it lasts. I can understand where you are coming from when you say that communicating ideas was previously the only motive for writing. I used to think the same way but this book has opened my perspective up and I find it very interesting how the author thinks that a primary motive of writing is to learn.
ReplyDelete