So far my active reading has been going well. I have been writing down all the character's names and traits, as well as, what happens to each character. I have also been recording/highlighting meaningful passages and details. I am constantly asking myself what I would do in these conditions and situations. Sometimes I forget to stop and write things down because the stories are so interesting that I just keep reading. Something I have noted for class today was the characteristics of Curt Lemon. His obsession with being viewed as a tough and almost crazy man. He goes to extreme lengths to prove himself.
The story "How to Tell a True War Story" has meant the most to me at this point. The heartbreaking story of the bond between Curt Lemon and Rat Kiley is truly deep and memorable. The sadness and despair that is created through the stories of how Rat Kiley copes with Lemon’s death are powerful. An example of a passage that displays this sadness is the following: “Rat pours his heart out. He says he loved the guy. He says the guy was his best friend in the world. They were like soulmates, he says, like twins or something, they had a whole lot in common.” (Page 65)
The most memorable characters that stand out to me at this moment are Tim O’Brien and Elroy Berdahl. Their story together, “The Rainy River”, was extremely interesting and developed these two characters in a short amount of time. Elroy was seen as a god-like figure that changed Tim’s life just by being there. Tim struggles between what he believes is right and what is expected of him. This puts the reader into his shoes and deep into his mind, thus, making a stand out character.
The most memorable characters that stand out to me at this moment are Tim O’Brien and Elroy Berdahl. Their story together, “The Rainy River”, was extremely interesting and developed these two characters in a short amount of time. Elroy was seen as a god-like figure that changed Tim’s life just by being there. Tim struggles between what he believes is right and what is expected of him. This puts the reader into his shoes and deep into his mind, thus, making a stand out character.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.